Monday, April 25, 2016

UC Update: April 25

Today marks day 6 for this hospital stay. I feel like this stay has overall been much better than last time. Some days are better than others, but I generally am feeling slightly better (or maybe that's just the pain meds talking...)

The morning started out a little rough when one of the GI PA's basically accused me of being a drug abuser and told me I was asking stupid questions about my condition. It left me a little frustrated that she wasn't willing to answer my questions and crazy that she felt like for some reason I wanted to be here in the hospital. The afternoon started to look up though when Dr. Tekola came to visit me. She is the doctor who I believe is over my case and she is the one who performed my colonoscopy.

Dr. Tekola told me that this is going to be a long and slow road to recovery, in which she expects that I will be in and out of the hospital over the next month. (I'm hoping for mostly out!) the reason for this is that they will try to treat me at home on the steroids for as long as they can but when my colon stops absorbing the medicine like it did this time, then I need to come back in and get my steroids through the IV. It really is a shame they can't just let me get my steroids through the IV at home. I feel like that would save a lot of time and effort! As much as I hate the idea of being in and out of the hospital for a month, in the grand scheme of things I would rather do this for a month and try to keep my colon then just go straight to surgery.

For now we are still hoping that I will be able to go home on Wednesday. Before that happens though we need to make sure that I am tolerating food ok, and taking my steroids and my pain medication by mouth only. My poor face is starting to change shape from taking the steroids, and I hate it. My doctor promised me that it will go away as soon as I am off them though.

In the meantime I have decided to live my life in ten minute intervals- otherwise I just get totally overwhelmed and stressed about things that are beyond my control. Our kids have been in great hands all week, but I can't wait to see them on Wednesday (hopefully!) while I'm in the hospital I try to focus on getting better. Today I have been walking laps around the hallways trying to build my strength back up so I can take care of the kids at home. I am also trying to lengthen the time between pain medications so I hopefully won't need to rely on them so much.

I have been so touched this week to learn that our old Ward in Utah has organized a fast for me, and our ward here in Alexandria is doing the same. I really, truly believe in prayers and miracles and I am so grateful for all of the people who care so much about our little family. Thank you, thank you! It
has been especially helpful to have people watching our kids at night (which I know is no easy task with a newborn), so that rob can be in the hospital with me through the night. The night time is generally when my pain is at its peak and it is so comforting to have him here with me so I'm not alone. I'm so grateful for him and for all that he does with balancing school, me, and the kids!

That's all the updates I have for now... Oh and tonight I get to eat real food for the first time on this visit, so here's hoping it all goes well! Love you all!

1 comment:

  1. I love the idea of living in 10 minute intervals. You can do anything at all for just 10 minutes!! You are such a strong and amazing person. Hope all goes well and you can see your cute kids on Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete