Sunday, September 28, 2014
Stats: 22 lbs, 29.5 inches long
Eating: We are SO excited to be on our last month of buying formula! I feel like we are going to get a $50/ month raise! (Which is saying a lot because neither of us currently make any money haha). James is turning into quite the picky eater. A few of his recent favorites include: veggie straws (from Costco), puffs (blueberry flavor), cheese (and more cheese!), and turkey. He is also a lot better at drinking water now that we found a sippy cup he actually likes! We went with the Skip Hop brand with a straw, no spill proof valve. The valves were making it too hard to suck and he was losing interest.
Sleeping: He finally sleeps through the night like a champ! James sleeps from 7:30 pm - 7:15 am and IT IS THE BEST. Seriously, this should have happened months ago! To be honest I don't know how we made it so long as sleep deprived parents. He naps from 9:30-11 and 2:30-4:30 daily. Sometimes he isn't as great at taking long naps, but that is the general idea of our schedule. I'm totally not looking forward to moving to one nap a day because I love the "me" time I get with this arrangement- AKA getting a shower in the morning.
Milestones: James is getting better at walking around furniture, and trying to walk with our assistance. Secretly I want to keep him from walking though because I feel like if he can't walk than he won't grow up. haha. He is awesome at feeding himself, climbing stairs, waving at people and still loves to play patty cake.
- Loves the Zoo. We went to the zoo for the first time in DC and it was a hit! He LOVED watching the apes and the elephants especially.
- Laughs when other people are laughing (even when he has no idea what is going on)
- Holds his shoes up to his ear to "talk on the phone"
- Obsessed with poking teeth and eyes
- Loves playing with other children
- "Sings" (more like loudly yells) while I practice harp
- Still hates the car seat- taking any and all advice on getting your kid to like the car seat
- Loves going for walks and petting the dogs
- Wants to eat anything mom and dad are eating
- Loves brushing his teeth (mostly just loves eating the toothpaste)
What we are looking forward to: Grandma and Grandpa coming in 1 month to celebrate James' birthday, taking family pictures in a few weeks, and the leaves changing!
Friday, September 26, 2014
Hello from Virginia!
We have been here for about 2 months now, and I can finally say we are feeling a little settled in! We got here about 1 month before Rob started school, which gave us a nice opportunity to explore the area. Rob takes the metro in to school every day from about 8 am - 7 pm. During this time James and I just get to play! I think I say "I LOVE being a stay at home mom!" about ten times a day. James is the best and I'm so grateful we can make it work.
Here are a few things we love about Virginia:
1. It is SO green. Such a change from Utah. (although we do miss our mountains!)
2. There are TONS of things to do. Seriously, endless museums, parks, the zoo, play areas, etc.
If you are bored here, you are doing something wrong.
3. Not very many people have babies, so they love James. Having James with me is like hanging out with a movie star. Everyone wants to be our friend, open doors, help us carry stuff, give us free treats, cut lines. You name it, James gets it. He just smiles and waves like a pro too.
4. Diversity. Its so fun meeting so many different types of people doing so many different things. (other than the fact that pretty much everyone here went to law school at some point)
5. The city. Its so fun having everything SO close. There are always festivals, events, and fun things going on around the city.
Things we have learned so far:
1. Free parking is like manna from heaven. If you find it, you take it. Otherwise you are looking at paying a good $2/ hour for street parking. Also you need validation to shop at Target and Costco. YIKES.
2. Rent is absurd. seriously, like the most absurd thing ever. If you look at a place and think, "man that looks decent, maybe I would like to live there!" WRONG. Anything that looks half decent is probably above $2,000/ month. Keep on looking sweetie.
3. Traffic. I had to realize the time google says it will take to get somewhere and the actual time it will take to get somewhere are not the same. Also, there is no point in the day at which you are safe from traffic.
4. Road signs are hilarious. The signs are posted like RIGHT at the exits. So you had better know exactly where you are going otherwise you will miss it.
5. Everyone has a dog and dogs are allowed everywhere. Restaurant owners put out dog bowls for their customer's furry friends. It's the weirdest, and I'm not sure whether I am grossed out by it or not.
Here are a few of our adventures:
Krispy Kreme.... mmm....
view from our rooftop gym
fro yo is James' favorite
first day of school for Bobert
we LIVE at Target
new IKEA toys
James is getting teeth like crazy!
the vampire phase was my favorite though...
I've been brushing up on my harp skills in order to
get some extra cash from weddings, etc.
We found a park just for littles called the 'tot lot'
lunch visits with "da da" are the best
exploring the national children's museum:
this is James and his new friend, Lake.
We hang out with her a lot!
I LOVE the tidal basin walk. SO pretty and I can't wait for spring
when all of the cherry blossoms are out
we love Johnny Rockets. There is just something about
a 50's diner that I love.
Well, that's all for now! We will keep you updated and of course, we LOVE visitors ;)