Thursday, October 13, 2011

apartment upgrade part 1: the kitchen

One of the first orders of business for me was getting the kitchen done. Somehow I feel like if the kitchen is clean and organized, the rest of the house must be in good shape... right? Well I just couldn't live with the orange cabinets and identical countertops. At second glance I noticed the counter tops weren't actually all that bad, in fact, they were much newer than the rest of the apartment. After talking it over with my mom we decided black would be a nice update for this old apartment.

Before


I'll be honest, I was sort of lazy when it came to this project. If one was to redo cabinets properly, they would pull them all of the wall, sand off the old paint, and then repaint them. But I had a serious fear that if we pulled all of these off the wall, we wouldn't get them back on it. So, being too cheap to even attempt to sand them on the wall, I just painted over the original color. This was a good idea in theory, but not so great in practice. I painted latex paint over oil paint, which means two things. First, its going to take at least an eternity to dry, and second, it pulls of easily if someone were to get in a scratching fight with the cabinets. I decided the first was worth it and the second was unlikely, so I just went ahead and painted. I'm not saying they are perfect, the paint definitely peels off more than I would like it to, but all things considered, it will work for the next year and a half. After that, it is someone else's problem. So, four days later and about 1/4 a pail of black paint, we reached the end result:


Better? You decide. The first picture doesn't look nearly as bad as the cabinets looked in real life. Unfortunately the picture down plays the orange in the cabinets- just imagine them much more.... orange and brown combined. No bueno.

Well, things are slowly coming together here at the new Starling residence. We almost have a living room and a bedroom. As for the bathroom... that is another story. Still no shower and now a broken toilet. Stellar. Hopefully by Monday we will have a new bathroom. And I am not even going to talk about the spider problem. I had finally convinced myself I was over reacting when while writing this blog a spider ran across my bed. Great. Sweet dreams- I know I'll have some.


1 comment:

  1. Have you heard of the things you plug into the wall that scare off spiders? These suckers work pretty good.

    http://www.amazon.com/Bell-Howell-Ultrasonic-Repellers-Outlet/dp/B0017VYUOI/ref=sr_1_2?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1318595138&sr=1-2

    Also they have inexpensive sticky traps at Lowes or Home Depot. We lived in a spider infested basement in Orem for a year and these helped cut down the spider population. There are also sprays if you are able to get at around your apartment (outside).

    The cabinets look so much better!

    ReplyDelete